People are taking to the waterways in record rates:
1. Fishing is most popular sport with fly fishing being the preferred choice
- 18% of the US population reporting having fished at least once in 2020.
2. Kayaking has overtaken canoeing as the preferred method of on-water recreation and sport.
- Recreation kayaking is king with 4.3% of the population participating.
- Recreation kayaking overtook canoeing in 2017.
3. Canoeing has softened since hitting its peak in 2010.
- 3.2% of the population report having canoed in 2020, a slight uptick over 2018 and 2019.
4. Stand Up Paddling (SUP) has reported ten years of annual gains since first tracked in 2010.
- SUP achieved a record 1.2% participation rate in 2020.